Monday, February 13, 2012

Oh My Darling, Borge Ring, 1977, and Anna and Bella, 1984

I have been negligent in checking on the other animation blogs I frequent, like Mayerson on Animation and of course the venerable Cartoon Brew, so I missed the news that Academy Award winner and recent Winsor McCay Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Borge Ring lost his home to a fire on February 1st.

From the site, HELP BORGE RING set up for them by their daughter Anika:

Oscar Winner, Borge Ring is an artist who has spent his life animating stories to delight audiences around the world. His wife Joanika is a sculptor and art teacher in the tradition of Advaita Vedanta.

After Borge retired a few years ago due to old age (he's turning 91 this month) their house became a main source of income, serving as a bed & breakfast and a place where people could hold special events.

Sadly, on February 1st, 2012, Borge and Joanika's chimney caught fire sending sparks onto the thatched roof, which quickly ignited. Within hours on this frigid February day, their home and their life's work together was burned to ashes, leaving them out in the cold with nothing but the clothes they were wearing.


Borge, Joanika, and their two cats are fine, thank goodness.

I've sent a donation. It's a small way to give back to someone whose work I enjoy and respect.

Ring was nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Short Film in 1978 for Oh My Darling.



He won the award in 1985 for Anna and Bella (which I could have sworn I featured before but I haven't. Unpossible, I know.)

His trophy was destroyed in the fire.



If you would like to leave a message for Borge, you can do so here.

Here is another link to the HELP BORGE RING site

No comments:

Post a Comment